Friday 23 December 2011

Advent 2011: Door 23


Christmas came a little bit early: through the letterbox today I got a 1944 Travel Club edition of Cruises and Caravans by the Swiss traveller Ella Maillart.


Just a glance of the index gives a taste of her adventures: Causcasus, Ceylon, Charlottenburg, Constantinople, Corsica, Crete, Crimea ...  In between time she competed in the Olympics, skied and wrote.  

I'm looking forward to holing up over Christmas and getting better acquainted with Ms Maillart, but a quick flick to the end offers the following - not a hint, but I suppose what we all hope might be the result of our travels:
To-day I feel at home anywhere, and though I live by myself, I can nevermore suffer from loneliness.    
(Ella Maillart, Cruises and Caravans, p154.)

No comments:

Post a Comment