Wednesday 14 December 2011

Advent 2011: Door 14


The hint for today, December 14th is ... sing.  Singing along has got me through some challenging moments on my travels.

Singing Let It Snow got me to the top of Mount Kosciuszko.
My Baby Just Cares For Me helped my nerves the first time I had to drive a car up the ramp onto a ferry (don't laugh - one lady traveller's challenges are not another's.)
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa got me round the scary hairpin bends on the road to Queenstown, NZ.
I Whistle a Happy Tune was a regular anthem for me as I walked the streets of Cape Town (and an homage to Anna Leonowens, an excellent Lady Traveller role model).

Distant Sun and The Long and Winding Road (reminding me that the miles will eventually pass) have got me through some long nights in the air.

In short, I have a song for every occasion and it really does help.  I don't know if it's because it regulates your breathing or calms your mind but next time you have to touchdown in Harare Airport with the tumbleweeds blowing by [insert similar situation of panic], you should try a verse or two of The Lonely Goatherd.   (I find it's not necessarily the coolest of songs that spring to mind when I'm nervous.)

Works like a charm.  Sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment