Wednesday 16 November 2011

Montsalvat

The grey, gloomy and inescapable November-ness of today prompted me to dig out these photos from last month - photos that have an unmistakable air of spring about them.  (My upside-down, topsy-turvy travelling ways have given me so far this year: two winters, one and a half autumns, one and a half springs, one summer.)  

Just before I left Melbourne in October, my lovely friend Georgie suggested visiting Montsalvat, an artist's colony out in Eltham, on the edge of the city.  As it turned out, I had been here nearly ten years ago for a wedding, but didn't remember.  Anyway, I was glad we went back, because it is BEAUTIFUL.  

Founded by the fantastically Scanwegian-named Justus Jorgensen in the 1930s, Montsalvat was planned to resemble a French Provencal (or provincial - it's not entirely clear which) village.  Personally, I think it looks like an architect took one part Arts and Crafts design manual, one part 1930s cutting edge taste and put it into a Disney blender ....

Montsalvat is still an artist's colony, with little cottages housing workshops and studios.  There is also a good restaurant, a gallery and beautiful gardens.  Because there was an event happening the day we went and therefore access to some spaces was limited, we got in for free, which was really very kind of them.  All in all a perfect get-away-from-the-city springtime excursion.  It's just a shame that it's a little too far from my current location for a blast of spring loveliness.















No comments:

Post a Comment