Wednesday 1 December 2010

Franz Josef

When I got to Franz Josef yesterday I confess to feeling scenery-ed out. Oh look, more stunning New Zealand landscape. Plus, my first view of the glacier (the village is named for the glacier, named for the Austrian emperor) was through the cloud on a distinctly grey day:

Fast forward to this morning and there was a promising hint of blue sky ...

... that got bigger closer to the glacier.

Why, who’s this strapping man made of cardboard?

He was telling me not to go any further for fear of falling ice, rocks etc.

On a whim, I took my lunch with me to Peter’s Pool, 45 minutes in the other direction. So glad I did – it turned out to be a beautiful, quiet spot (most of the tourists don’t bother going) with an ideally placed bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment