Wednesday 13 October 2010

South Australian Time


(Image via satravel.net.au)

I know some of you are hoping for photos of joeys and brumbies but I haven’t had time to sort through the pictures from the hike yet – but tomorrow, I PROMISE, I have set aside time to do so.

In the meantime, I have an important hint to travellers going to South Australia. SA and the Northern Territory are among those tricksy places in a special half hour time zone. So Adelaide is half an hour behind Melbourne.

This caught me completely on the hop on Monday (I don’t think they mentioned it on the plane, but I was a bit woozy so can’t be sure). I thought it was just taking me a long time to get to everywhere because my watch showed me half an hour late all day. Eventually someone took pity on me and explained.

Being half an hour out of step with most of the world puts Adelaide in a special group that includes Delhi, Tehran and Kabul. But from my quick trip, I don’t think it shares many other features with those three places.

PS for anyone keeping track, I've now been to four states (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia) and one territory (ACT). Two states to go (Western Australia and Tasmania) and at least one territory (NT).

No comments:

Post a Comment