Saturday 19 September 2009

Hints to Lady Travellers

When I was trying to come up with a good name for this blog, I thought of Isabella Bird – the iconic Victorian author of ‘A Lady’s Life in the Rocky Mountains’ and other gems. She is one of the authors featured in the John Murray Archive exhibition and so has a very special place in my heart.

Inspired by IBB, I started reading about other Lady Travellers and came across (thanks Royal Geographical Society!) the fabulous Hints to Lady Travellers: At Home and Abroad by Lillias Campbell Davidson, first published in 1889. Her book is full of useful tips (my favourite? If stays are worn at all, they should be short riding ones; but tight lacing and tricycle riding are deadly foes.) and encouragement for the independent female adventurer.

So in the spirit of Isabella Bird, Lillias Davidson and other intrepid ladies, I’m creating my own travelogue. It may not be A Spinster’s Tour of France or Unbeaten Tracks in Japan but I hope it will be a colourful and true record of my year chasing the summer.

8 comments:

  1. but you have such well-turned Kennedy ankles. Seems a shame to hide them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt? Let me know next time you have a fixed address and I will send you a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt but sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. representing the ancestral teaching tradition and the distaff line, they are actually O'Hagan ankles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ní rúitíní a bhí i gceist ag Muintir Uí Ágain ach cosa, cosa móra. Beidh siad foirstineach agua tú ag siúil an domhain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faraor seo duine de mhuintir Again nach bhfuil na ruitini aici. Ag baint taitnimh as an chuntas ar do thuras.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ceard faoi na baill fireann de mhuintir Again? An mbionn cosa mora no ruitini deasa acu? B'fheidir go mba choir iad a thomhas le linn na Nollag.

    Is cuimhne lion gur ruitini deasa a bhi ag Granny, seachas cosa mora. Agus nil mo chosa fein comh mor sin ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eithne, Best of luck on the hike, enjoy the break & scenery, GIll xx

    ReplyDelete